Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tapology 2010

I was excited to be invited as a guest performing artist at the Tapology Festival for youth. Mostly because its in my hometown of Flint, MI and a chance for me to go back home and share what I've learned. My time at the festival was awesome. I taught several West African dance classes and had a chance to reconnect with my favorite family/ tap dancers Ali and Frances Bradley. On faculty there was Dianne Walker, Mabel Lee, Ryan Johnson, Jason Samuels Smith, Laurie Johnson, Derrick Grant, and Natasha Graham. This year we honored Tina Pratt for her legacy as an artist. She's an elder and moving well. I mean really well. Check out the youtube footage.

Ok back to the festival. We had school shows, lecture demonstrations, tap, flamenco, West African, and stepping classes. The artist reception and luncheon was on point and I even found time to make it to my favorite spots, YaYa's, Big John's, and La Familia (oh yeah can't forget the Vernors).

This was the first time I was on the opposite side of the festival. Being able to see it from an artist perspective. Normally I have a chance to take classes, but not so much this time. I did have the opportunity to get some knowledge about tap and ask myself where do I want to take my artistry. Tap has so much history and there are so many amazing artist how or where do I fit?

Just reflecting on Tapology Festival now, I'm glad I had to chill and talk with the other faculty as regular people. Lots of laughs that I can't even write about. Hide ya Kids, Hide ya Wife lol. enjoy the photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment