Sunday, October 10, 2010

Inspired

Today I had a great opportunity to take  Hip Hop class from THE Luam. It was awesome. I'm so inspired. Even though Hip Hop isn't a dance style that I study most often, the movement is infectious. The way that one movement of your body can hit with different levels of intensity. Tricky, fun, and electrifying.

Before the class I was thinking umm I'm a tap dancer... am I going to be funky enough. I haven't really danced Hip Hop in a while and I'm not ready to embarrass myself at all. First step was I had to get my look right. Fitted top, baggy bottoms, high top nikes ok good to go. Walked into the studio and excited and nervous. Why? because everyone there has been studying the dance and I'm a little out of the loop.

Class begins with a warm up lead by Aysha Upchurch (beast dancer). Luam enters the room and everyone is excited. Choreo starts and i'm good up until you ask me to stutter a movement. wait ok I know what this is, my body is saying, but have to remember where to clinch the muscles to make it look right. Ok got that part. next couple of quick hit moves I'm thinking woah girl move to the back, but no, leaders lead form the front.

Umm I wasn't in the front, more like 3rd row middle, but keep your eye on the goal. After doing it several times, I finally feel comfortable with the choreo.

What you wanna go in groups. umm ok. I felt nervous. Not because i didn't know the dance, but because I was going to be dancing it in front of a room full of Hip Hop dancers who have been studying and grinding for this art and I don't wanna look stupid. So what do I do. ummm stand in the back.

I know booo not a good look, no way to be seen, no way to stand out and show that just because I'm known as a tap dancers I'm a versatile performer. But you know what... its kool. I know who I am, no need to prove a thing. So i stayed in the back every time my group was called and it was just fine.

I can't wait to fuse the energy with Tap. once I get it... it's on

No comments:

Post a Comment